August 11, 2010

Crop Dusting OR Flying the Smelly Skies

Some people use the term "crop dusting" as a way of saying passing gas or farting. I was reminded me of this while reading an article by David Sedaris in this week's New Yorker. 

He was writing about airline attendants having to deal with passengers who are jerks:
"You know how a plastic bottle will get all crinkly during a flight?" [the stewardess] asked. "Well, it happens to people too, to our insides. That's why we get all gassy...So what me and the other gals would sometimes do is fart while we walked up and down the aisle. No one could hear it because of the engine noise, but anyway, that's what we called 'crop dusting.'"
When I asked another flight attendant...how he dealt with a plane full of belligerent passengers, he said, "Oh, we have our ways. The next time you're flying and it comes time to land, listen closely as we make our final pass down the aisle."
"Pull my finger!"
Hmm, I might listen, but I'm not going to sniff the air! By the way, that painting of a butt is by Michelangelo, from the Sistine Chapel.

Anyway, Michelangelo rarely bathed, and almost NEVER took his shoes off. His assistant complained, "[He] has sometimes gone so long without taking his shoes off that then the skin came away, like a snake's, with the boots."

No comments:

Post a Comment

No bad words, thanks!