May 5, 2011

To Stinky Pee or Not to Stinky Pee: That Is the Question!

Liz West
Q. Why does asparagus make your pee stink?

A. It might not! It just depends. For instance, only about half of Brits have stinky pee after eating asparagus, compared to almost 100% of French people. (Seriously.)

Anyway, Asparagus has a substance in it called mercaptan. This is a stinky, sulfur compound that’s also in skunk juice (really), rotten eggs, garlic, and onions.

Bixentro
If your body can break down this mercaptan, your pee will stink. And if you can’t, it won’t! But either way, it’ll happen FAST. Some people will eat asparagus, and minutes later, their whizz smells funny!

But here’s what’s really weird: Some people can’t SMELL the stink in asparagus pee!

This sort of takes the fun out of the stink, don’t you think?

3 comments:

  1. Have you discussed/investigated Golden Crisp pee yet? Or the other brand, Smacks. When I eat these cereals my pee smells like these cereals. I've had friends check it out for confirmation. It's legit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? Good grief, why have I never heard of this?

    I'll commence research immediately.

    Step 1: The cereal aisle of my local supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to hearing (reading) your results.

    ReplyDelete

No bad words, thanks!