January 5, 2010

The Spiderman's Eye

So you open your tarantula's cage, when suddenly you feel something hit your eye. Moments later, it starts feeling sore and getting red, sort of like if you had pink-eye.

That's what happened to a British man a year ago. He went to a doctor and that was when he learned his tarantula has a super-power called "urticating hairs."

When the big spider rubs its legs against its body really fast, spider hairs shoot out in a cloud... They're urticating hairs! This wouldn't be such a problem, but tarantula hairs have barbs in them, so the spider actually shoots its urticating hairs for self-defense!

The problem is that the hairs are too small to remove. A year since it happened, the British spiderman's eye has gotten better, but it's still not completely healthy.

So what had he done to make his tarantula so mad? He tried to clean the spider's cage! That'll teach him.
Story here.

3 comments:

  1. I've been having Japanese and a little bit of Indian curry all week. Being a typical male human, I find new ways to inflict pain on my own self. In my defense, I will say curry is addictive and very tasty. Needless to say, my rear end is feeling The Burn RIGHT NOW. AT THIS VERY MOMENT.

    Oh dear.....I think I'm going to die now. Auuuuuuuuuuuugh!!! Why must certain awesome food hate us?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two boxes of jalapeno peppers stuffed with feta cheese, and pregnant.... Not a good mix... I'm sitting on the bus right now after trying to pass the fire 3 times this morning and its only 9am!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I ate a little piece of tinidad scorpian pepper and nearly passed out, my face was on fire, and three days later, my anus is sore, I feel sick and dizzy, am I going to die, I am 4 days away from going home

    ReplyDelete

No bad words, thanks!