May 25, 2010

"Poutine" Rhymes with "Routine" (as in "Routinely Disgusting")

I live in Portland, Oregon, and here, there’s a new dish in town: Poutine. It’s so popular, the food even has its own website, namely Portland Poutine
If you’ve never had poutine (and I haven’t), it’s made with french fries, cheese curds, and brown gravy. I’m not sure if that sounds very good, and that picture doesn’t help much.

Maybe I should check with someone who’s actually eaten the stuff?
Okay, no poutine for me, thanks.

Addition: See the blog comments for notes on the correct pronunciation of poutine.
Poutine picture from Lisa Miru,
man by Mark Blinch for REUTERS 
via the Oddly Enough blog.

3 comments:

  1. FAIL: "Poutine" does not at all rhyme w/ "routine".

    the correct french canadian pronunciation sounds like pu-tsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GBK is correct in the French Canadian pronunciation of "poutine", but for most anglophones "poutine" does indeed rhyme with "routine."

    French Canadians pronounce "burger" very oddly [I won't even attempt a phonetic transcription], but we don't give them a hard time about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both GBK and Dave...now I know how to pronounce poutine on BOTH sides of the border!

    ReplyDelete

No bad words, thanks!