March 29, 2011

Yummy! I love brownies!

 Photo by the York Archaeological Trust
What's that? You say this is a actually a photo of a 2,500-year old human brain?

I think I just lost my brownie appetite.

This ancient brain was found in England. It apparently belonged to a man who was hung by the neck and THEN decapitated. Talk about overkill!

This Live Science article about it had a great quote:
“It was just amazing to think that a brain of someone who had died so many thousands of years ago could persist just in wet ground,” said a researcher . . . “If you talk to pathologists who deal with fresh dead bodies they say the first organ to really deteriorate and to basically go to liquid is the brain because of its high fat content.”
Hey, I got my appetite back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No bad words, thanks!